relieve moderate to severe pain.Ayuk
What OxyNorm capsules are taken for
OxyNorm capsules contain oxycodone hydrochloride. Oxycodone belongs to a group of medicines called opioid analgesics.
OxyNorm capsules are used to relieve moderate to severe pain.
Your doctor, however, may prescribe it for another purpose.
Ask your doctor if you have any questions about why it has been prescribed for you.
As with all strong painkillers, your body may become used to you taking OxyNorm capsules. Taking it may result in physical dependence. Physical dependence means that you may experience withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking oxycodone suddenly, so it is important to take it exactly as directed by your doctor.
This medicine is only available with a doctor’s prescription.
Before you take it
Long-term use of OxyNorm capsules may result in a decrease in sex hormone levels which may affect sperm production in men and the menstrual cycle in females. Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.
When you must not take it
Do not take OxyNorm capsules if you:
- suffer from shallow breathing or have any breathing problems such as acute asthma, chronic bronchitis or impaired lung function
- are severely drowsy or have a reduced level of consciousness
- suffer from irregular or fast heartbeats or changes in the way the heart beats
- have heart problems due to long-term lung disease
- have just consumed a large amount of alcohol, regularly consume large amounts of alcohol or have confusion and shaking due to alcohol withdrawal
- suffer from convulsions, fits or seizures
- have a head injury, brain tumour or have raised pressure within the head, brain or spinal cord
- have sudden severe abdominal pain
- have a condition where your stomach empties more slowly than it should, or your small bowel does not work properly
- are about to have an operation (including surgery on your spine for pain relief in the next 6 hours)
- have severe kidney or liver disease
- take a medicine for depression called a ‘monoamine oxidase inhibitor’ or have taken any in the last two weeks.
Do not take OxyNorm capsules if you are allergic to oxycodone, opioid painkillers, or any of the ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet.
Do not take this medicine after the expiry date (EXP) printed on the pack.
If you take it after the expiry date has passed, it may not work very well.
Do not take it if the packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering.
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or intend to become pregnant whilst taking this medicine.
Like most medicines of this kind, OxyNorm capsules are not recommended to be taken during pregnancy. Your doctor will discuss the risks of taking them if you are pregnant.
Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 18 years of age.
Safety and effectiveness in children younger than 18 years of age have not been established.